- "The Neenan Tapes," Fr. Neenan reflects on his early years as a Jesuit (pg. 14)
- "Book Report," Neenan discusses the Dean's List, his annual annotated lineup of recommended reading (pg.14)
- "Faith and Discovery at Boston College," Neenan's address at Parents' Weekend 2005 (pg. 14)
- Collection of Agape Latte talks, from C21 (pg. 38)
- "Para Continuar," a one-question interview with Hosffman Ospino on the National Study of Catholic Parishes with Hispanic Ministry (pg. 40)
- Construction webcam overlooking 2150 Commonwealth Avenue (pg. 43)
- Recent undergraduate theses, digitized by University Libraries (pg. 13)
- "In the Heartland," BCM, Summer 1993: Fr. Neenan recounts growing up in Sioux City, Iowa (pg. 14)
- Summary report from the National Study of Catholic Parishes with Hispanic Ministry (pg. 40)
View upcoming events at Boston College
Books by alumni, faculty, and staff
Alumni in the news
Order books noted in Boston College Magazine
Join the online community of alumni
View the current BCM in original format
After Tibullus, “Elegy 1,” 51–58
It’s true, I’d far prefer
to give up gold and precious stones
than have a girl greet my farewell
with tears and sorrow’s groans.
It’s right that you, Messalla,
contend on land and sea
so that your entry way may stay
bedecked with spoils of war.
But the trammels of a lovely girl
are apt to keep me captive
and so I stand, a sentinel,
by the threshold of a stubborn door.
Renown counts for nought with me,
dear Delia, if we be one.
Let them call me lazybones, the one
who shirks what must be done.
Peter Fallon held the chair of Burns Library Visiting Scholar in Irish Studies during the academic year 2012–13. His 1998 collection, News of the World: Selected and New Poems, was among the Irish Times‘s Books of the Year.